Second Commander’s Building – Qingdao Old Town

2nd Commanders Residence - Qingdao Old Town

This famous Qingdao Old Town building, the former residence of the Adjutant to the Commander of the German Navy, is often referred to as the Governor’s Adjutant’s Residence or Second Commander’s Building.

Completed in 1904 and designed by the Construction Bureau of the Governor’s Administration this historical structure is constructed of red brick, Mount Lao granite, and wood. It has three floors above ground with a single subterranean basement. In 1912, until the end of the German occupation, this residence was used as the Headquarters of the Germany Navy Battalion in Qingdao. It is currently used by the Qingdao Public Security Bureau (PSB).

青岛总督副官官邸旧址的最初主人为德侨潘氏,被许多资料考证为德国海军青岛司令的副官,所以该建筑被称为总督副官官邸,俗称”二提督楼“。该建筑占地面积1666.68平方米,建筑面积559.92平方米,砖木石结构,地上三层,地下一层。整座建筑以清水砖为主要外墙材料,立面细部装饰受青年风格派的影响,自由式布局的平面结构,追求变化的屋顶,使建筑具有了中世纪兴起的田园风住宅样式。该建筑建于1904年,由总督府建筑管理局设计。1912年改用为德国海军营部大楼。

Site of the former Second Commander’s Building
12 JiangSu Road
Completed in 1904
ShiNan District, Shandong Province, Qingdao. P.R. China
青岛总督副官官邸旧址: 中国山东省青岛市市南区 江苏路12号

Photograph © Colton Dirks

Rate this post

Share This: