The former site of the Societas Verbi Divini (SVD) in Qingdao Old Town, designed by Father Franz of the SVD, began construction in 1899 and was completed in 1902. The Societas Verbi Divini (SVD) actually began sending missionaries to China’s Shandong Province as early as 1882. The SVD’s aggressive methods were part of the chain of events that led up to the Boxer Uprising in the late 1890’s.
Site of the former Divine Word Mission Hall – Societas Verbi Divini (SVD)
Corner of QuFu and ZheJiang Road
Completed in 1902
ShiNan District, Shandong Province, Qingdao. P.R. China
斯泰尔修会圣言会会馆旧址： 中国山东省青岛市市南区 曲阜路与浙江路路口
Photograph © Colton Dirks