YMCA – Qingdao Old Town

YMCA, Qingdao Old Town

The former site of YMCA (Young Men’s Christian Association) is located in Qingdao Old town on ZheJiang Road, just down the hill from St. Michael’s Cathedral. The Qingdao YMCA was built between 1899 and 1914 during the German Occupation but the original owner remains unknown.The YMCA has three floors above ground and one basement level. Built of brick, stone, and wood it has a total ground area of 3,308 square meters with 3,041.75 square meters of floor space. The two castle like structures which stand at the two ends of the facade are crowned with green domes. The rectangle windows that dominate the facade, along with the castle like structures, reflect the significance of the building in Qingdao’s Old Town.

青岛基督教青年会旧址建造于德占时期1899年至1914年间,但最初的使用者很难考证。建筑地上三层,地下一层,砖石结构。占地面积3308平方米,建筑面积3041.75平方米。两侧转角设城堡式塔楼,上覆绿色顶。屋面采用红瓦折坡式,局部起方窗,墙基为花岗岩。立面以矩形条窗为主,体现着建筑的严谨与含蓄。在细部处理上使用了花饰与石雕,和谐中富有变化。

Site of the former YMCA (Young Men’s Christian Association)
9 ZheJiang Road
Completed in 1914
Shinan District: Shandong Province, Qingdao, P.R. China
青岛基督教青年会旧址: 中国山东省青岛市市南区 浙江路9号

Photograph © Colton Dirks

Rate this post

Share This: