Shandong Railway & Mining Co.

Shandong Railway & Mining Company, Qingdao.

The former site of the Headquarters of Shandong Railway & Mining Company, located in the 14 Guangxi Road courtyard, began construction in 1899 and was completed in 1902. It was built as the residence for the director of the Shandong Mining Company. On June 1st 1899 the Shandong Mining Company acquired the concession for investment and operation of mines in an area of 15 km on both sides of the Qingdao (TsingTao) Railway Station then operated by the Shandong Railway Company. Shortly after this initial investment these two companies were merged with plans of the railroad skirting coal mining operations in Shandong Province. In contrast to the railway company, the mining company was never really profitable. The building, located on the corners of Qingdao (青岛路) – Wilhelm Straße, JiangSu (江苏路) – Bismarck Straße, and Taiping (太平路) Road, was later renovated and expanded in an effort to balance the design by adding another pediment to the west south facing facade. At present it is currently under the municipal-level protection of Qingdao City.

青岛山东铁路矿务公司总部旧址占地面积594平方米,三层,高约14米,砖石木结构。屋面为红瓦高坡顶形式,局部起老虎窗。其他部分则是清水粉墙。东墙上突起一处花岗石凸窗。该建筑建于1899年至1902年,后来又进行过扩建改造,将南立面的西侧按东侧的比例砌出一片山墙,均衡了构图,处理得比较协调。现为青岛市市级文物保护单位。

Qingdao (TsingTau) Old Town – Shandong Railway & Mining Company
14 Guangxi Road (Prinz Heinrich Straße) Courtyard
Completed in 1902
Shinan District, Shandong Province, Qingdao. P.R. China
青岛山东铁路矿务公司总部旧址: 中国山东省青岛市市南区 广西路14号院内

Photograph © Colton Dirks

Rate this post

Share This: