The former site of the Seaman’s Club or German Navy Club, located on HuBei Road in old Qingdao
(TingTau), was designed in 1899 and began construction in 1901. Completed in 1902, this Neo-Renaissance German style building was the first to have a large enough auditorium to house grand events. The former site of the Seaman’s Club or German Navy Club was later used as the Japanese club during the Japanese Occupation after WWI, followed by the Japanese Residents Organization until the end of WWII in 1945, when the U.S. Troops were station in Qingdao. At present the building is used as business offices and residences.
Qingdao (TsingTau) Old Town – Seaman’s Club
17 HuBei Road
Completed in 1902
Shinan District, Shandong Province, Qingdao. P.R. China
青岛水师饭店旧址： 中国山东省青岛市市南区 湖北路17号
Photograph © Colton Dirks