German School for Boys – Qingdao Old Town

German Boys School - Qingdao Old Town

The former site of the German School for Boys, located on JiangSu Road facing the sea, began construction in 1900 during the German occupation of Qingdao (TsingTau) and was completed in 1901. The building looks like an ordinary traditional Chinese house with symmetrical formations and broad gradient roof.

The German School for Boys, with 758 square meters of floor space, was designed by Bernartz and constructed by the Picorro Company from China. At present it is the location of the JiangSu Road Primary School.

青岛总督府童子学堂旧址建筑自1900年12月德国人占领初始就开始建造的学校,位于一片背山面海的坡地上,规矩的造型与宽大的坡屋顶,看上去颇似一栋传统的中国式建筑。平面采用条形布置,对称式格局。主楼中部高起二层,正立面均设有外廊,底部整齐排列四根圆柱,挑起上部斜檐。窗户设计为直线型,为序排列,远看似相互连通。建筑风格属19世纪殖民地式,轻巧娿斜坡屋檐外挑,又平添了南欧风情。该建筑于1900年12月开始建造,至1901年8月竣工,建筑面积758平方米,砖木结构。建筑设计师是贝尔纳茨,施工为中方企业皮科罗公司。该建筑已翻新。现为青岛江苏路小学。

Qingdao Old Town – German School for Boys
9 JiangSu Road
Completed in 1901
ShiNan District, Shandong Province, Qingdao. P.R. China
青岛总督府童子学堂旧址: 中国山东省青岛市市南区 江苏路9号

Photograph © Colton Dirks

Rate this post

Share This: