The old German Military Hospital 总督府野战医院旧址(即督署医院) began construction in 1898 and was completed in 1904 along with the Tsingtao Beer Factory. Prior to its construction Qingdao’s sick were treated in simple military tent huts.
The construction of Qingdao’s first hospital by the Germans along with strict hygienic standards enforced by the German medical staff resulted in Qingdao becoming the healthiest harbor town in China during the early 1900’s. While many southern ports were hit by the plague and cholera, Qingdao remained out-break free without any disruptions in trade.
Photograph © Colton Dirks